Sunday, March 2, 2014

"I'll Start on Monday": Meet Robin

Today I am honored to share Robin of Outrunning The Rain as the "I'll Start On Monday" feature.  Her story is one of friendship, weight loss, running and inspiration.

Here is Robin's story:

I started getting more in shape, looking at my food choices and start running in January 2013. I didn't just roll out of bed on New Year's Day and decide this was a good time to work on those popular New Year's resolutions... I was in a dark and desperate place by New Year's Day. Before, I had been blissfully unaware and happy in denial... well, probably not really "happy", more like "content to ignore myself". What made me stop ignoring myself? It started on Christmas Eve. I saw this picture taken of me on Christmas Eve 2012 and was shocked.

Completely beside myself with horror and disbelief and denial. How had I gotten so big? Two kids later and two months postpartum from my baby and I'm still in my pregnancy clothes. In fact, I couldn't button my maternity jeans. A friend offered "as a Christmas Present" to pay for my enrollment fee and first two months into Weight Watchers. Depression was setting in and I was feeling hopeless. Why not just go? She seemed to like the program a lot and was on her way to "life time" membership with them. "Okay." I said. Out loud to her. There was no backing out. I had done the "Couch to 5K" training program in October of 2011 and after the initial difficulty of starting to run... I had felt such a great sense of accomplishment and pride when I crossed the finish line of my first race. So, if I'm going to "start a diet" (as my mentality was at the time in Jan. 2013) I might as well start exercising too. Couch to 5K part two, here we go!

I quickly learned that Weight Watchers isn't a "diet",but about managing food choices into a livable and healthy lifestyle. With the support of my dear friend who first took the courageous step to start Weight Watchers herself and then gently confront me about my weight, I would probably be a different person (literally). I think she saved my life. 

I am not a "runner". Well, I wasn't when I started to "run". I'd run for 60 seconds and cry to the point of hiccups for 90 seconds and start the interval over again for 20 minutes, three times a week. Without my other friend continually offering support and offering me tissues when I cried and told her "I'd never be able to run a mile... how could I run 3?" I never would have kept going with the couch to 5k program. 



Because I didn't want to leave her stranded at a park alone in the dark, I'd show up and run with her, rain or shine... I blame her for my growing endurance and my strength and ability getting better.  After starting to run again in January of 2013 and stick with training and keeping my momentum moving forward... I finished my first half marathon in September of 2013



The journey has been a "slow and steady" journey and after 13 months of running and practicing Weight Watchers, I have lost 77 lbs. In that December 2012 picture, I was unable to get up off the floor when playing with my kids or having them sit in my lap. To get up, I'd roll to my knees and crawl to a close by piece of furniture to lift myself up. My knees caps often slid out of place. I couldn't lay on my sides at night because of the pain in my hips. I still suffer from hip bursitis and my knees will ache, but I am definitely a stronger person mentally and physically because of running and healthier because of the food choices I now make. 


You can follow Robin at www.facebook.com/OutrunningTheRain and read her blog at http://outrunningtherain.blogspot.com/. 

The thing that strikes me most about Robin's story is her bravery and persistence.  As she stated she was in dark place, she could have easily turned down the her friend's Christmas present.  She didn't. Now that's bravery! She could have decided that running was too hard and just figure she wasn't meant to be a "runner." She didn't. Robin never gave up.  Now Robin is using all she has gained from changing her life to inspire others! 

So after reading Robin's story... WHO'S GOING TO START ON MONDAY?

Keep inspiring, 
Emily

If you want to be featured on "I'll Start On Monday", please email me at myjourney2thefitlife@gmail.com. 

.


1 comment:

  1. A wonderful piece about an inspiring lady! Robin also coordinates her local Moms RUN This Town group. Your readers might find a group near them as a source of support in their fitness goals.

    ReplyDelete